Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I'm Back and the Pokémon Apokélypse Fan Film Trailer

Hey I'm back!

To my dozens of friends I thank you for your patience and hope I will deliver more blog fun after this little sabbatical I took. In May I was helping an old friend of mine move his brother out of his apartment (the brother had health problems). So after working 7-8 hour at work I would go and help my friend for 2-3 hours. I was exhausted. When someone brags to you that they kept everything from the several businesses they owned, sometimes they ain't lying.

So I found this little trailer while watching for fan film trailers on YouTube:



Beyond the initial chuckle at the premise of Pokémon Apokélypse, one could make this into an unusual but interesting RPG campaign. Imagine your PCs' surprise when the underground fighting ring that the players are investigating isn't human or robot, but colorful elementally powered pet monsters battling for supremacy.


With some tweaks you could use Monsters and Other Childish Things by Arc Dream Publishing for this type of campaign. If you want to do some searching check out anime RPG classic Big Eyes, Small Mouth and add the Cute & Fuzzy Seizure Monsters sourcebook.

I LOVE the original cover. It is so the truth.

Or just have the fact that there are underground rings of fighting pet monsters just be part of the background. Just because you can.

1 comment:

richard said...

I am so in. The dystopian pokeverse is an idea that just keeps giving and giving: at first I thought it could be reskinned as voodoo powers kept in clay jars by witch doctor "trainers," then Carcosa with its colour-coded sacrifices seemed like the apokelypse ( where you play the pitfighters and snakemen are the collectors); this is really just the original series with different art direction.