Friday, November 14, 2008

We Need a Ghostbusters RPG Retro-Clone and Other Random RPG Thoughts

In no particular order (in fine Larry King newspaper column style):

*There should be a retro-clone of the venerable Ghostbusters RPG. We could call it Phantom Fighters or Ghoul Smashers or something like that. That would rock.

*As I get older, I find myself gravitating to simpler systems. I started out with Red Box D&D. GURPS 3rd Edition with always be one of my great RPG loves. But for now I love simpler systems like Risus, PDQ, and Cinematic Unisystem.

*I see the eras of gaming like the history of rap music. My friend Joe, who has been gaming for since 0eD&D, is from the Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five era. I consider myself from the RUN-DMC/Beastie Boy era of gaming. Okay. Maybe it’s just me.

*It’s a shame that there aren’t more products out for Steve Jackson’s Toon game.

*Sci-Fi Original movies may be lousy, but they would make fun RPG scenarios or miniature games.

*When I went to see Reign of Fire with my friends in the theatre years ago, my first thought was “Well, that was an okay movie”. My second thought was “Ya know, if this was made in the early 90s, Leading Edge Games would have made a board game and RPG about this movie.”

*I personally don’t take a side in the whole GNS gaming debate. I look at that whole business like the East Coast/West Coast rap war. I like artists and works on both coasts, and I don’t really want to pick a side when Biggie and Tupac start arguing about something.

*Part of me wants to use Mutant Future and Labyrinth Lord to run a version of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe vs. the Thundercats/Silverhawks/Tigersharks.

*Emmanuelle Vaugieur is hot. I know that has nothing to do with gaming. I just had to get that off my chest.

Mike David out!

2 comments:

Restless said...

*Part of me wants to use Mutant Future and Labyrinth Lord to run a version of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe vs. the Thundercats/Silverhawks/Tigersharks.

What? Not Thundarr the Barbarian?!

Max said...

Re: Old School rap/gaming

My boy's b-day party ca. 84-85. Up *all night* sweatin a Palladium FRPG adventure for the crew, listening to the illest electro jams on a Detroit radio station....One of my favorite gaming memories.

On the perpendicular, there should probably be a Wu-Tang RPG. Viz. the GZA: "I'm on a Mission, that n----z say is Impossible
But when I swing my swords they all choppable"